Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Making furniture?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member trvnbrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    440
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HI,

    Anyone here make any furniture for your AG girls? I found a pattern online & may check around & see if I can find it cheaper or even locally.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660805302498

    Anyone else have any patterns or sources where I could find/buy them? Hmm, might be worth a look at the library.

    I'd love to get some ideas/reviews on homemade stuff. My dd likes the AG furniture, but when I asked, she said she would love Daddy to make her things. I would love a bed & possibly a storage chest.

    I found a very simple, cute item on ebay that I know dh could make and modify to make it more personal for dd.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Girl-Do...QQcmdZViewItem

    Any ideas or opinions? BTW, dh has no clue that I may be volunteering him to make furniture. lol. [img]wink.gif[/img] Hey, he made a cradle for my dd to sleep in as a newborn, I'm sure he can handle making a bed for her doll!

    Warmly,

    trvnbrn

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bgeurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    630
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OOOHHH! What a cool book, I'll bet your DH can make anything in it. Be sure and post pics. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    73
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    My dh made a bed for Angelina and made Josefina a four poster that matches dd's bed, even hand carved and sanded the spindles so they would be to scale. Also a family friend made Marisol a metal bed, it favors Samantha's but posts are square, has a very modern look.
    If your dh has made a baby cradle he should have no problem, show him what you want, abccrafts.com has some good ideas.
    We had only the the dolls for guides at the time, once we got Kit and Samantha's beds I found out we were really close to the size, ours are a bit wider but easily hold two dolls, sleeping back to back of course.
    Good luck, your dh will become hooked!! It's fun to listen to the guys talking about making doll beds and what else they can add to the collection.

    I've never posted pics but can give a try if you would like to see our beds.
    MD

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Queen of AG's's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2005
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    My grandpa has made me numerous pieces of doll-sized furniture. I have a couple of wooden beds (one is a canopy bed) and a caned (sp?) table and chairs. MUCH cheaper than AG furniture!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member marymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2004
    Posts
    491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    my DH and I have made several things for AG....the latest is the fireplace and we are still fussing with it....put lights in the hearth when we moved it to the room..the lights wouldnt work, now we have new lights, they work but one of the andirons broke....for some reason I just cant find my glue gun to repair it...lol...could it be I have tooo much stuff.....we also built a table and the room of course....DH seems to have as much fun making this stuff as I do....

  6. #6
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My dad made me Kirsten's trunk which is much nicer quality than AGs trunk and he also made a clothes rack/box and a wardrobe for Felicity and stackable bunk beds. You can see pictures in my dolls albums and in the background of most of my pictures.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ddlovesag's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone out there improvised with other pieces of furniture as temporary beds or trunks? I remember reading somewhere about a nice trunk at Lowes or Home Depot?
    Someone else mentioned a Family Fun article which used a double bookshelf as a bunk bed....sounds cute, and very inexpensive. We are wanting to do a temporary bed, and are considering this. I was also considering cheap alternatives for a trunk -- or something to store dd's AG clothes in. Anyone else have a different suggestion?

  8. #8
    prasnlrd
    Guest prasnlrd's Avatar
    Hmmmmmmmm....I would like to try this myself! Hmmmmmm.... thanks for the links!


    [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] prasnlrd in CA. [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member trvnbrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    440
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for all the replys! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    agmomx2, I would LOVE to see pics of your furniture. I do not think my dh would handcarve anything, but would love to see your dh's handiwork.

    marymax, I peeked at your Christmas pics and WOW! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] I believe that is what we call art. They should use your rooms in the AG mag...yet again, everyone would want all your props & pretty decor. lol. Absolutely beautiful and the fireplace is just perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    QNPoohBear, I had so much fun looking through your album. Your bunkbeds & clothes rack are so sweet. They are what I want dh to make. I can't believe all the dolls, clothes & accessories you have! [img]eek.gif[/img] What a fabulous collection [img]wink.gif[/img]

    ddlovesag, my mom is giving my dd two small trunks to store things in. One is a round leather looking one w/ a handle. Sort of like an old fashioned suitcase. The 2nd one is larger & is brown & rectangular. I haven't seen it, so that's all I know. She found the 1st one at Michael's Craft Store clearanced for $10. You can always use their 40% off coupon's they have out in the Sun. paper to buy a full price item. The 2nd one was under $20 from a Value City store. I have seen cute trunks & cases at T.J. Maxx and Kirkland's stores as well. Have fun shopping!

    Warmly,

    trvnbrn

    P.S. I brought up the furniture making idea & dh seemed a little interested [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] I'll post if he makes something. I'm thinking he should be able to get something made by dd's Bday (July 4th [img]graemlins/cake.gif[/img] )

  10. #10
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by trvnbrn:
    Thanks for all the replys! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    QNPoohBear, I had so much fun looking through your album. Your bunkbeds & clothes rack are so sweet. They are what I want dh to make. I can't believe all the dolls, clothes & accessories you have! [img]eek.gif[/img] What a fabulous collection [img]wink.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks so much! I've been collecting for 18 years on Christmas day when I recieved my beloved Kirsten from Santa when I was 9.

    Keep us posted on your project. I hope your DH can make some furniture for your DD. It will be very special and mean a lot and also create a bond between father and daughter. My dad takes an interest in my collection and he knows each girl's name and time period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •